What we do
The National Consumer Federation (NCF) represents the voice of UK consumers. We are an independent, not-for-profit charity, with 50 years’ experience of tackling issues that affect large numbers of consumers, and campaigning for positive change. We work to influence Government, regulators and businesses to ensure that the consumer voice is at the heart of decision-making.
We provide a platform for everyone interested in consumer protection – from individuals, to local groups and national consumer organisations - bringing them together to share their knowledge, skills and experience. We provide a safe environment for people with common interests to be heard, and feel supported, by others.
Our expertise adds value to the collective consumer voice, making it a more powerful force for change.
We consider issues that affect large numbers of consumers and we aim to make things better!
We are known for our:
- Expertise - we help volunteers to develop their skills and experience in areas of consumer interest
- Thinking - the NCF is a home for consumer experts to share common views and values and provide detailed analysis and solutions
- Voice - consumers need to be heard. We provide consumer volunteers with a platform for addressing issues that may not be well covered elsewhere
Our vision, mission and values
Our mission is to protect the interests, safety and welfare of all consumers. We do this by working with key organisations to strengthen the consumer voice and demonstrate 'what good looks like'. Our vision is for the value of the consumer voice to be recognised, and given fair and equal weight to that of other stakeholders.
Through our work we aim to influence Government, regulators and businesses to ensure that the consumer voice is at the heart of decision-making.
Our key values are to be:
- Independent – to represent consumers honestly and fairly, free from any commercial or political constraints
- Evidence-based – to ensure all arguments and proposals we put forward are firmly grounded in robust research and analysis
- Reasonable – to work impartially with Government, regulators, trade unions, the third sector and businesses to recognise ‘what good looks like’ for consumers.